Re: passwords and ref's

Wed, 6 May 1998 11:06:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Steve Berry wrote:
> i like the new ver of cornell cu-seeme for win95 but the prob is some ref's
> that i visit need a password and i do not see how to put one in for loging
> on to them. how can this be done or can it?

As far as I know, it can't. You CAN use Conference IDs just fine, but
passwords are a White Pine only feature for now. I still think that any
public reflector that requires passwords isn't thinking of the people who
use their reflector. Forcing people to use the White Pine client for
access to a reflector only serves to limit their audience. Why should I
be forced to use buggy software that I don't like just to access their
reflector? The answer: I generally don't use reflectors that require
passwords and the problem is solved :)

Passwords serve the same purpose as Conference-IDs made private do. The
only instance where I can see passwords are actually REQUIRED for security
purposes is when the reflector is a White Pine 2.0.X reflector which
didn't have any restrictions on who could see the private conferences via
telnet. Other than that, people are going to have to enter a password for
access anyway. It might as well be a conference ID instead. Just my
opinion though. :)

I also believe the White Pine client and reflector encrypt the password
when it transfers it, so it's not as simple to implement.