Re: passwords and ref's

Wayne Fisher (waynenf@mindspring.com)
Wed, 06 May 1998 17:37:43 +0000

Jason:

Reflector passwords on the commercial side of things ARE used.... let me give
you 2 examples of what I mean....

Let's pretend I work for a software development firm that uses White Pine
CUSeeMe for videoconferencing (instead of having to travel to a remote
destination for a meeting, or instead of conference calls via a telephone in
which you can't see or interact via whiteboard with all of the participants).
The company I work for has a private reflector set up with various conference
ids for the departments using the reflector. In addition, my company has set up
passwords for each of the conferences to keep out unwanted participants...
without these passwords in placed, a competitor or an unwanted 3rd party could
easily listen in on our private, company meetings, and gain access to propietary
information....

Or, for example, let's say you are in the entertainment field, and have set up a
reflector so that users can chat 1:1 with movie stars or people in the
entertainment field. You charge the user for this privilege, and then give them
a password to the conference so that people who have not paid for access cannot
get in....

Yeah, I know, I'm oversimplifying here.... I guess what I'm trying to say is
maybe we need to stop thinking as personal home users, and maybe start thinking
about possible corporate uses for our technology..... then, many of the things
in software today would make sense :) - and, it also boils down to preferences
and personal taste... I can understand you not wanting to visite a ref that has
a password in place, but that doesn't mean reflector passwords do not have their
uses... to each his own :)

Cornell and White Pine have BOTH produced excellent products.... I guess the one
you use depends on personal preference.... simple as that :)

BTW - Tim Dorcey (one of the original programmers of CU at Cornell) and his
associates have incorporated password protection in their new iVisit product
(which I also like)....

- Wayne