Re: USB

Ian (virus@mad.scientist.com)
Mon, 11 May 1998 12:15:01 -0600

At 04:05 PM 5/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>USB support has been pretty flakey from what I've heard. Only Win95
>OSR2.1 has support for USB and there's no way to tell the difference
>between OSR2 and OSR2.1 I don't think. (I read something about that
on
>comp.dcom.videoconf).

Well, honestly, I thought the only way to tell was to look for "with
USB support" on the install CD-ROM. But of course, Microsoft says:

To determine the version of Windows 95 you are running, follow these
steps:
1. In Control Panel, double-click System.
2. Click the General tab.
3. Locate the version number under the System heading

Version number Version of Windows 95
- - -----------------------------------------------------------
4.00.950 Windows 95
4.00.950A Windows 95 plus the Service Pack 1 Update,
or OEM Service Release 1.
4.00.950B OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2)
4.00.950C OEM Service Release 2.5 (OSR2.5)
1. Note that if you are running OEM Service Release version 2.1, you
see
the version number 4.00.950B (the same as OSR2) when you follow the
steps above. To determine whether you are running OSR 2.1, check
for
"USB Supplement to OSR2" in the list of installed programs in the
Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, and check for version
4.03.1212 of the Ntkern.vxd file in the Windows\System\Vmm32
folder.
2. If you are running OSR2.5 and you uninstall the USB Supplement
using
the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, the version number
changes to 4.00.950b on the General tab in System properties.

<snip>

>Parallel port support is standard..USB port support isn't standard
yet.
>Maybe others on the list can comment though since I have no direct
>experience with the Quickcam VC USB version.

Currently USB is going down - from what I've heard. Believe it or
not, Apple's Firewire will be integrated into motherboards in the near
future. Firewire is already integreted in Sony's digital video
cameras and VCRs (Popular Science had a field day with this one about
9 months ago). If you have one of these, you will not need a QuickCam
or a capture card :-)
You *might* want to take your USB stuff back as Jason suggests. Got
this info from http://www.motherboards.org/chipset.html :

USB Universal Serial Bus to (mis)use a familiar acronym, USB is a
"peripheral connection interface" for external devices. To describe
it is also to imply that it is known in the industry as "vaporware."
There just aren't many devices that use USB for it to be a serious
technology yet. Its speed is a staggering 24 MHz (12 Mb/sec), making
a run for the i-link, IEEE-1394 (Apple's FireWire) market. USB is
supposed to be what you'll connect joysticks, keyboards, modems,
scanners, mice, and anything else you use today that needs a slow SCSI
or RS-232 interface. Sure, RS-232 was the hot product of the 1980's,
but hey - it still works fine for my modem. With as slow as it is
adopting USB, many people believe that the IEEE-1394 spec will blow
the doors off USB USB maxes out at a puny 12 Mbps compared to 400 Mbps
for i-link), leaving USB to a fate somehow reminiscent of the 80487.
Others see USB used for low-to-medium bandwidth products,
supplementing the high-end i-link products that may soon run at speeds
up to 1 Gbps.