Re: CU, MeetingPoint, ERef, Etc. - Can we all get along?

Mark (mark@steinberg.net)
Tue, 12 May 1998 20:00:57 -0700

wayne,

no. that is not the problem i was talking about.

in all macintosh versions of the cornell client and wpine
macintosh versions up to, and including, 2.0, there is a 32k
limit in the chat buffer. when the received chat accumulates
to 32k worth of chat the client will either:

68k machines: start producng gobbledey-gook in the chat window
and possibly head for a bus error.

ppc machines: crash instantly.

as far as i understand, this bug is caused by the basic use of
the macintosh OS's TextEdit facilities.

this problem can be worked around by periodically closing the chat
window and reopening it.

chris's geek talk solves this problem by corretly wrapping memory
and allowing users to set a chat buffer ize before such wrapping
occurs.

at no point did i blame wpine for introducing such a bug. i did, however,
point out that NOT FIXING this bug in particular, which was very obvious
to anyoe who uses the program for any length of time, had caused some
of us to develop a degree of cynicism regarding the whole affair.

it's easy to forgive the authors of a free software product their bugs,
harder to be as forgiving when it comes to a commercial product.