point missed on EREF here.

rico@agetech.net
Tue, 12 May 1998 13:01:06 -0400

>Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:51:17 -0600
>From: Brian Godette <bgodette@idcomm.com>
>To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>Subject: Re: Eref support ?
>
>At 12:12 PM 5/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>>I understand EREF is free and is installed at
>>>various sites. It seems to be a good enough
>>>reflector for most to create their own reflectors,
>>>and spread the Video conference bug.

>>>Just look at all of the companies offering
>>>video today, seems like there are several
>>>startups every few months. One thing EREF seems
>>>to prove is that this technology is out of research
>>>and into the marketplace, or should I mention the
>>>
>>>Sure would like to have this email repsonded to
>>>by the REAL AUTHORs of EREF !
>>>
>>>regrads,
>>> Rico.
>
>Go to ftp://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/pub/CU-SeeMe/Reflector/3.0b3.dist/
>grab 3.0b3.tar.
>unpack it.
>read license agreement in any source file.
>
>or to save everyone the trouble....
>
>/*
>Copyright 1993, 1994, Cornell University
>
>Cornell hereby grants permission
>to use, copy, modify, and distribute this program for any purpose and
>without fee, provided that these copyright and permission notices appear on
>all copies and supporting documentation, the name of Cornell not be used in
>advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the program without
>specific prior permission, notice be given in supporting documentation that
>copying and distribution is by permission of Cornell. CORNELL MAKES NO
>REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTEES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. By way of example, but
>not limitation, CORNELL MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF
>MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT THE USE OF
>THIS SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS,
>TRADEMARKS, OR OTHER RIGHTS. Cornell shall not be held liable for any
>liability with respect to any claim by the user or any other party arising
>from use of the program.
>
>This material is partially based on work
>sponsored by the National Science Foundation under Cooperative Agreement
>No. NCR-9318337. The government has certain rights in this material.
>*/
>

>Now technically, I'm not in compliance as this notice doesn't appear in the
>docs that are currently included. But that'll included in the next release
>(hadn't looked at the license in some time <g>).

---------------------- my response to Brian's comments :
Brian, you are correct to bring out the missing 'label' on your
reflect.doc file, and thank you very much for taking a
heads up on all of this.

The license states " ...grants permission to use, copy, modify,
and distribute this program for any purpose and without fee,...".

Does any of this preclude you from making it a marketable and supported
product ?

I have retired after 15 years in the 'bit industry', but know a
good product when I see it. It is obviously simple when looking at
all the activity in the video field, that EREF should be a product,
a shareware at least.

If your intent is to keep it a hobby, then fine, I have 'no problema'
with that at all, please state it so, since I mislead myself into
thinking EREF is too serious to stay a hobby. Otherwise, please
consider ' letting the cat out of the bag'.

Respecting your opinion, and always gratefull for bringing EREF to
the marketplace .

I would like to HEAR FROM THE GROUP on this, especially all those EREF
site owners and users.

regards,
Rico.

--------the complete original text follows ---------------------