Re: CU, MeetingPoint, ERef, Etc. - Can we all get along?

Wed, 13 May 1998 00:30:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Wayne Fisher wrote:
> For your information, this same chat problem that you mention being
> contained in the wpine CU product is also present in the Cornell
> product. This was verified about 1 week ago when a programmer of the
> chat piece of the Cornell client posted a message to this list stating
> that fact (seems like a typo in the code).

Actually, if I read it right, Larry Chace pointed out a bug in the Aux
Data code that was possibly present in the 16-bit PC version and continued
to be present in the 32-bit PC version. It had nothing to do with the
buffer size and the crashes when it hits 32K. I don't believe it's been a
problem in the Cornell PC version since 0.84b7 came out in late 1995.

I may need to revisit Brian's tech page, but I believe the White Pine 2.X
PC versions also had a 32K chat problem. It flashes the chat window after
every new line after 32K was received. I haven't used 3.1 enough to tell
if it's present there.

> Since wpine licensed the code from Cornell for CU, doesn't it make sense
> that this bug is present in BOTH clients?

Actually, it makes much more sense for White Pine to FIX the bugs present
in the Cornell client. I know they fixed a whole host of problems present
in Cornell's reflector. (Ever try running the 4.0b3 reflector on
Linux...buggy). I'd expect them to do the same with the client.

> so it may have been inherited by the wpine product, and may not
> have been introduced by the wpine programmers.

As I see it, it doesn't matter WHO introduces it...people are a lot
more forgiving with free software. If I pay $70 for a piece of software,
I expect it to work right. Thankfully, White Pine doesn't wash its hands
clean of all bugs claiming "that's not our bug..it's in Cornell's code".
Progress wouldn't come very quickly if that happened.