Re: direct connect file

Fri, 15 May 1998 16:45:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 May 1998 frank@agetech.net wrote:
> Can I create a file to call my desktop,
> or anyone's desktop ?

Define "call my desktop". If you mean connect to CU-SeeMe which is
running on your desktop, yes.

> Is there a file similar to the way
> we have a .cu file to get to a reflector
> to do a DIRECT CONNECT ?

I'm not sure how Macs handle it, but I have several .cu/.csm files on my
computer that allow me to double click them and load up CU to connect.

> Currently I have set it up similar to a .cu file.
> Ie,,
> Say, my current ip is 209.4.58.55 .
> When click on a picture on the webpage, the client tries to
> connect to my CURRENT IP , and it does NOT get there !
> It says 'Connection to 209.4.58.55' and after it times out
> with :
> No response from 209.4.58.55.
> [ECU ID#:8293]

It depends on the format of the CU/CSM file...I assume it's setup with
something like:
209.4.58.55
0

Since it's saying "No response from 209.4.58.55." with spaces in it,
make sure you don't have any added spaces before the IP address in the
cu/csm file.

And also I'm assuming you're connecting from ANOTHER computer...not sure
if it will connect to yourself or not. You can always try 127.0.0.1 and
click on it to see if it connects to yourself.

> I believe it does not get there since it is trying to
> get to what it thinks is a reflector, which is apparently
> different than trying to execute a DIRECT CONNECT.

All CU knows is that it's an IP address...there's no way to distinguish
IPs that are reflectors and IPs that aren't reflectors. They all use the
same connect sequence I believe.