Re: Newbie looking for direction

Fri, 15 May 1998 16:56:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Ed Young wrote:
> Was just given a cam...just downloaded the software.
> Where is a good starting point after I get this thing up and running. I
> don't want to have to spend the next year reading through page after page
> on what cu-seeme can do, I just want to jump in.

For a list of reflectors to go to, I'd try
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan
Outside of that, just jump in and play around with it. There's a wealth
of help pages out there, but judging from your signature, I doubt you'd
need them. :)

> What's the hype and who do you talk to and why?

The "hype" for me is being able to talk to and see friends without
spending lots of money on plane trips or expensive videoconferencing
equipment.

> Are they used primarily for business or does everyone just connect to
> each other to be able to use your cams?

I use it mainly for social uses though I have used it to demonstrate how
technology can be used in the classroom. It's a lot more exciting these
days (or can be anyway) because people use their cams differently. A few
years ago, all you saw was the eternal deskcam with someone working.
These days, I've seen masks, aliens, UFOs, etc. :) People can be quite
creative.

-
streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |