Re: Looking for solutions-

Ray Gannon (gannonr@apk.net)
Sat, 16 May 1998 00:09:55 -0400 (EDT)

My machine came with the "Jabra Earphone". It's a molded earpiece that plugs
into the headphone and microphone jacks on the Mac. The microphone portion picks
up the sound of your voice through your head so it's nearly immune to ambiant
noise. It's a pretty slick package.

I've seen a few posts about the microphone jacks on the Macintosh and thought
I'd flesh them out a bit.

The Jack on the Macs is 3.5mm and not the 1/8" like you find at Radio Shack. The
sizes are really close but the Radio Shack plugs tend to be a bit loose and can
cause static in the sound since they are smaller. I've had pretty good luck with
the gold plated 1/8" plugs though.

The microphone jack on all the powermacs requires a "line level" input which is
about 1 volt. Most mics available need an amplifier to work on these machines.
The "Plaintalk" microphones from Apple have an extended plug that allows them to
tap into the 5 volt power in the Mac. This power is to run the amplifier that's
built into the Plaintalk mic.

One of the previous responces mentioned a VDIG that displayed pictures. It's
called "Imposter" And can be found on all the usual archives.