Re: was RE: Quick Cam proplem, now CU ideas

Sat, 16 May 1998 10:08:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Gary Dietz wrote:
> At 05:13 PM 5/15/98 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
> >I'm up for offering my reflector...with the limited ability to monitor.
> >The one problem I've seen with trying stuff like this, the the fact that
> >there's no way to truly "grant the floor" to someone (turn taking for
> >example) without also limiting who can be seen at the time as well.
> >Observer and observer-broadcast are the closest thing to that but that
> >also restricts video and audio. Ideally, you'd want EVERYONE to be seen,
> >but only certain people's chat to be visible.
>

> Unless you use MeetingPoint.

Perhaps you could explain how I can use MeetingPoint to limit when people
can chat while keeping their video visible to everyone. I must have
missed that feature as I was testing. I know of observer mode, but then
cuts off all video, audio, AND chat from those not in the admit-sender
list. I wish only the chat to be cut off. Ideally, there'd be a
moderator that could control who's turn it was. Something like "turn -c
<ID> <IP>" so that no one's chat will go thru except for that IPs. I
never heard back from White Pine concerning the "aux-data <IP> on|off"
feature that I would have liked to see in MPCS. It could have been
extended wonderfully for this purpose.

If you're thinking about the GUI "grant floor" and "remove floor", I
believe all that does is send a "admit-sender <IP>" to the reflector to
grant, and "admit-sender -d <IP>" to remove. IE: it's the same thing as
observer mode. But I could be wrong.