Re: b and w mjpeg prob (new cornell)

Mon, 18 May 1998 00:16:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 16 May 1998, J. Stephen Downie wrote:
> Why can I use mjpeg with my b and w
> quickcam in the WP version but
> only get video capture not supported
> errors when i try the newest cornell
> and its mjpeg???

I'm not sure exactly WHY you'd want to use MJPEG with a B&W quickcam...The
only people I've seen doing that with the WP 3.1 version do it so that
EVERYONE can see them. Sending in B&W with 3.1 prevents anyone but 3.X
users from seeing them.

I believe the MJPEG codec only works with 16 and 24 bit video sources.
The B&W Quickcam only captures in 4 and 6 bit (8-bit conversion? I'm not
sure). If you could select a 16 or 24 bit format, it would work fine. As
it stands, I believe White Pine does some playing around with the formats
so it will work in 8-bit. Of course, I could be completely wrong :)