Re: was RE: Quick Cam proplem, now CU ideas

Gary Dietz (gdietz@wpine.com)
Sun, 17 May 1998 10:03:20 -0400

Sorry Jason, I should have been more specific (but I was off to
"RealLife(tm)" when I wrote the note).

With MeetingPoint and ClassPoint installed, you can achieve this:

An instructor, or moderator, can have control over the one or more
students, or participants, who are in the "spotlight." This give the
instructor the ability to direct who is seen by whom and who can speak when.

Orthoganal to the spotlight feature, the instructor can control the level
of chat in the conference. The instructor can choose three modes:

1) Students can chat to INSTRUCTOR ONLY
2) Students can PUBLICLY CHAT
3) Student can PUBLICLY CHAT TO ALL AND PRIVATELY CHAT TO WHOM THEY DESIRE

Thus, using an instructor conrolled environment with chat more 1), students
would be unable to chat UNLESS they have been allowed to by the instructor.

The level of granularity (i.e., spotlight alos controlling chat) was
specicially decided against in ClassPoint 1.0, but may be revisited for
future updates.

Gary

At 10:08 AM 5/16/98 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
>On Sat, 16 May 1998, Gary Dietz wrote:
>> At 05:13 PM 5/15/98 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
>> >I'm up for offering my reflector...with the limited ability to monitor.
>> >The one problem I've seen with trying stuff like this, the the fact that
>> >there's no way to truly "grant the floor" to someone (turn taking for
>> >example) without also limiting who can be seen at the time as well.
>> >Observer and observer-broadcast are the closest thing to that but that
>> >also restricts video and audio. Ideally, you'd want EVERYONE to be seen,
>> >but only certain people's chat to be visible.
>>

>> Unless you use MeetingPoint.
>
>Perhaps you could explain how I can use MeetingPoint to limit when people
>can chat while keeping their video visible to everyone. I must have
>missed that feature as I was testing. I know of observer mode, but then
>cuts off all video, audio, AND chat from those not in the admit-sender
>list. I wish only the chat to be cut off. Ideally, there'd be a
>moderator that could control who's turn it was. Something like "turn -c
><ID> <IP>" so that no one's chat will go thru except for that IPs. I
>never heard back from White Pine concerning the "aux-data <IP> on|off"
>feature that I would have liked to see in MPCS. It could have been
>extended wonderfully for this purpose.
>
>If you're thinking about the GUI "grant floor" and "remove floor", I
>believe all that does is send a "admit-sender <IP>" to the reflector to
>grant, and "admit-sender -d <IP>" to remove. IE: it's the same thing as
>observer mode. But I could be wrong.
>
>--
>streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
>streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |
>streak@cs.utexas.edu * BS Computer Science \_|_/
>*************** http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~streak/ **************|

Gary Dietz, White Pine Software, Incorporated.
ClassPoint(tm) http://www.wpine.com/classpoint
CU-SeeMe(R) Videoconferencing http://www.wpine.com/cuseeme
MeetingPoint(tm) Conference Server http://www.wpine.com/meetingpoint
Global Schoolhouse CU-Schools http://www.gsn.org/join