Re: was RE: Quick Cam proplem, now CU ideas

Brian O'Shea (boshea@wpine.com)
Tue, 19 May 1998 14:41:07 -0400

At 06:02 PM 5/18/98 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
>On Sun, 17 May 1998, Gary Dietz wrote:
>> Sorry Jason, I should have been more specific (but I was off to
>> "RealLife(tm)" when I wrote the note).
>
>Thanks for the clarification :)
>
>> 1) Students can chat to INSTRUCTOR ONLY
>
>This sounds a lot like observer mode.
>
>> 2) Students can PUBLICLY CHAT
>
>This sounds like normal chat except without the ability to private chat
>(ala ERef's no-geek modes)
>
>> 3) Student can PUBLICLY CHAT TO ALL AND PRIVATELY CHAT TO WHOM THEY DESIRE
>
>This is normal chat.
>
>> Thus, using an instructor conrolled environment with chat more 1), students
>> would be unable to chat UNLESS they have been allowed to by the instructor.
>
>I don't see that this is any different than observer mode. More
>specifically, what I'm looking for is a way to let ONE person chat to
>everyone else while restricting everyone else's chat.

Disable aux-data on the conference, and then make the ONE person an
admitted sender, which allows them to over-ride the aux-data restriction.

>It seems sort of
>reverse of what ClassPoint does (allows everyone to talk to ONLY one
>person: the instructor).
>
>But at this point...I don't really care :) I just finished my last final
>and it's party time :) I now get to wear my propellor hat with pride :)

Congratulations!!

>--
>streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
>streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |
>streak@cs.utexas.edu * BS Computer Science \_|_/
>*************** http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~streak/ **************|

-bos

+ Brian O'Shea (bos@wpine.com) White Pine Software +
+ Engineering Manager 542 Amherst St +
+ Meeting Point Conferencing Server (MPCS) Nashua NH, 03063 +
+ Phone: 603-886-9050 Fax: 603-886-9051 +
+ The future belongs to the risk-takers, not the comfort-seekers. +