Re: b and w mjpeg prob (new cornell)

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 10:27:05 -0600

At 08:20 PM 5/19/98 +0800, you wrote:
>i think you completely missed the point here Jason.
>
>the question was why is it that in WP 3.x, you can use the MJPEG video codec
>to send B&W video from the camera while the new cornell returns an
>unsupported video capture setting. Both the new cornell and WP 3.x use the
>same PMJPEG.DLL codec file do they not ?
>
>I've tried this with the color quickcam and you get the same results. With
>WP 3.1 I can set the color quickcam driver to 256 grays and choose the MJPEG
>codec in WP to send video. You just get the unsupported video capture
>setting with the new cornell.
>
>Since the new cornell and WP 3.x use the same set of drivers (the PMJPEG.DLL
>codec, and the drivers for the quickcam) shouldn't the new cornell version
>also be capable of sending B&W MJPEG video ?

Nope, you missunderstand how VfW (Video For Windows), and I would gather
QuickTime behaves much the same for this, works. MJPEG is just the
transmission/storage codec being used, *NOT* the capture method used to
take frames from the video source. The conversion from the video source
frame format to something that the transmission/storage can use is
completely dependant on the application software.