Re: b and w mjpeg prob (new cornell)

Wayne Fisher (waynenf@mindspring.com)
Thu, 21 May 1998 11:45:57 +0000

Jason Williams wrote:

> I believe it has nothing to do with the codec itself, but rather how White
> Pine uses ActiveMovie. As I understand it, ActiveMovie allows for greater
> flexibility between formats and was one of the reasons White Pine moved to
> it (so their software could be compatible with more capture cards (ie:
> DirectDraw ones)). If you notice, quickcam users can't send grayscale
> with the 2.X versions from WP either (which didn't use ActiveMovie).

Jason:

This is not necessarily true.... I use the Connectix Color Quick Cam 2 with
CUSeeMe 2.1.1, and can successfully send greyscale video. Provided users have
the most recent quick cam drivers from Connectix, sending of greyscale is
supported. MPEG greyscale, to the best of my knowledge, is NOT supported by
2.1.1, but you can't make the broad statement "if you notice, quickcam users
can't send grayscale
with the 2.X versions from WP either " without clarifying specifically that
greyscale MPEG is not supported by 2.x.

- Wayne