Re: cameras

Mark Andrew Nassy (nassy@flash.net)
Thu, 21 May 1998 11:59:55 -0400

At 6:51 AM -0400 on 5/21/98, CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu wrote:

> CU-SEEME-L Digest 1497

> Topics covered in this issue include:

> 14) Re: cameras
> by Ian <virus@mad.scientist.com>

> ------------------------------

> From: Ian <virus@mad.scientist.com>
> To: vdmolen@nscl.msu.edu, <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> Subject: Re: cameras

> As for the USB version....
> Microsoft can't get its USB drivers to work with many USB based devices.
> USB isn't something I would want to invest in because it will never replace
> the good ole RS-232 port. Though motherboard manufacturers had good
> intentions by integrating USB into their chipsets, it isn't catching on.
> Currently USB is going down - from what I've heard. Apple's Firewire
> (i-link) will be integrated into motherboards in the near future to take
> the place of USB. Firewire is already integreted in Sony, Panasonic, and

the following urls and excerpts may b of interest to those following this
threads.

USB ports on Mac horizon
http://www.zdnet.com/macweek/1220/sy_usb.html

By Christina Follmann (christina_follmann@macweek.com)

Apple is shifting gears on its peripheral bus standard for the Mac.

The Universal Serial Bus (USB) will replace the serial and ADB I/O ports,
Apple announced earlier this month at the Apple Worldwide Developers
Conference in San Jose, Calif. (see 05.11.98, Page 1). The first Mac to
incorporate the new bus will be the iMac, due in August.
USB is the slower of two bus technologies Apple has anointed for its future
systems. FireWire, the speedy serial bus standard that operates as fast as
400 Mbps, will fill the niche for high-throughput devices such as video
editing.

http://www.macintouch.com/usb.html