Re: Cornell CU-SEEME 1.0 with Color

The Mad Scientist! (s.j.turner@uq.net.au)
Mon, 25 May 1998 22:56:54 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:

> g) If the program is so small, why isnīt there a WIN 3.1 version (or
> does this version work with WIN 3.1 + WIN32) ?? 386-computers with 4 MB
> RAM are no easily available for very-low money and would be still great
> for video terminals.

Rolf, I can answer this one. If you mean Win 3.1 + Win32s, then the
answer is no. This was the first question I asked when 0.92b2 first came
out. Steve Edgar replied that it wouldn't work because it used certain
Win32 functions/features that aren't present in Win32s. Also, I remember
the readme file for Cornell's 0.84b7 version (the last Win 3.1 version)
saying that at least a 486DX2/66 MHz was needed to send _and_ receive
video. I think it said a Pentium was needed for audio. Also, my
experience with Windows 3.1 (and also with the improved Windows for
Workgroups 3.11) was that it was faster and more stable with 8 Mb of RAM
than with 4 Mb. However the price difference between a 386 with 4 Mb and
a 386 with 8 Mb is probably insignificant these days.

If you are interested in using old (and therefore cheap) computers for
CuSeeMe, consider this: I recently persuaded my rather computer
illiterate 42 year old friend to get his first PC. It's a second-hand
486DX2/66 MHz VLB system with 16Mb RAM and a 250Mb Hard Disk. It only
cost about $350 Australian, which is quite cheap (about 1/10th or less of
the cost of a new Pentium II with 32 Mb RAM). Although I don't expect it
to perform well with most of the large Windows 95 applications, I think it
will run Cornell 0.92b2 quite well (haven't tried it yet).

Scott.

s.j.turner@uq.net.au