Re: [QUESTION] Meeting Point reflector.

Wed, 27 May 1998 18:05:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Mark Andrew Nassy wrote:
> are they any public mp reflectors that are fairly empty on a saturday
> evening (gmt -4) without incurring any charges. (hope this is not asking
> for 2 much.)

I can setup a conference on my reflector/server if I know what conference
# you want. I've stopped running the T.120 server and H.323 compatible
connections because MPCS 3.0.6 on Solaris that I'm using has a tendency to
create huge logfiles for no apparent reason that I can't control. Since I
haven't gotten any email back from the person I contacted at White Pine
about it, the easiest thing to do is to just not run any H.323/T.120
conferences.

> can a netmeeting client connect to a conference other than (i assume)
> conference 0.

The way it works from MeetingPoint's side is by using the h323 command to
enable/disable H.323 conferences. The conferences can be any conference
number you want (though it can get a bit complicated if you H.323 enable a
private conference). From netmeeting's side, I believe it looks at the
T.120 server to see which conference are available (Only the ones that are
h323 enabled). You're presented a list of conferences to connect to...so
yes, H.323 clients can connect to ones other than conference 0.

> [ btw: we plan to use the irc to communicate with those individuals
> wishing to text chat. ]

That's another big issue...compatibility...
Netmeeting clients can only see other H.323 clients using the H.263 codec
and CU clients using the H.263 codec. If you want to do audio, the only
way to be heard and to hear is by using the G.723 codecs.

As far as chat goes, there's no way for Netmeeting users to see CU users'
chat. Likewise, there's no way for CU users to see Netmeeting users'
chat. If EVERYONE uses an H.323 client, things work perfectly. If
EVERYONE uses CU clients, things work perfectly. Mixing the two is still
problematic.