Re: Cornell 1.0 - answers&questions

Fri, 29 May 1998 03:07:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Fabio Augusto wrote:
> I know places for 2 other not-so-popular color codecs than MJPEG:
> - Intel Indeo 5.0 codec can be found in
> http://www.intel.com/ial/indeo/video/index.htm

Yeah, Indeo 5.0 comes with the 3.2 and 4.1 codecs which Version 1.0 can
also use. I believe Macs can only see Indeo 3.2 though.

> it also solved a small problem I had... Since I installed
> Cornell v1, I lost the capability to send BW video - and didn't found
> any installable greyscale codec. After I installed Indeo, I found black
> and white video selection enabled (and functioning) in the correspondent
> selection box in v1.

That's rather odd...since the Grayscale codec is builtin to CU itself.
There's no "grayscale codec" that it needs to run.

> - H363 codec can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.wpine.com/pub/CU-SeeMe/lucent.exe; I installed it but doesn't
> work with my copy of v1 (and have no idea why). Anyway, the URL is here
> for anyone wanting to try...

Actually, it does work..just not as a sending codec. Version 1 can
receive H.263 from other users but can't send it.

> Although this question didn't come from me, thanks Jason... It fixed
> the only restriction I could raise about v1: with autoclose enabled,
> trying to log in a busy ref demanded a lot of boring clickwork. And - as
> it seems to be happened to some ppl - I just didn't realize that
> selection box in the corner of the phonebook.

That's not a "new feature" :) The auto-close was there in 0.92b2 as well.

If you're concerned about speed of trying to get into a reflector, check
out stupid@mindless.com's CUnnect98 (http://www.mindspring.com/~uh-oh).
With Auto-Close off and Quick Connect on, this FLIES. For Enhanced
Reflectors, it will try to connect 3-4 times a SECOND. :)
Definitely an awesome CU dialer :) But it's still in alpha stages.

> After few days using v1, I
> just can't figure out how I could afford 2.1.2 for so many time. The
> increase of video reception and sending speed, when compared to 2.1.2,

I don't understand this one...If 1.0 is using the same codecs, the only
speed-up should be lower processor usage. But I'm not complaining. :)

A lot of it could have to do with the refs you're connecting with. MPCS
handles bandwidth a bit better so multiple vids actually works.

Glad it's working for you... :)