Re: is BIG BROTHER watching U??

Fri, 29 May 1998 03:12:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Nico Nindler wrote:
> something very strange happened to me. today i talked about
> marihuana on a ref which i find is not very much criminal any more
> these days. this ref wont let me in anymore. always says
> "no dope-heads on this ref!".

Sounds like someone denied you from the reflector. Not big brother, just
a refmon or someone who has the ability to deny IPs.

> i really wonder how the reflector-software recgognizes me. i dont have
> a static ip-address.

It can "recognize" IP masks which can include any group of IPs. You don't
have to have a static IP to be denied anymore. That went out with the
3.0b3 Cornell reflector.

> i already tried to reconnect and to change nickname. also tried to
> move the program into another folder. nothing helps!

That's one thing I wish reflectors had...the ability to deny names. I've
added that ability with a reflector logging script that I run, but it'd be
much simpler to do it within the reflector. Imagine the world with no
more CU-SeeMe User's and Hidday Jahan's :)

The only way to be undenied is to talk to someone that manages the
reflector or who knows someone who can undeny. If you're really
desperate, I'm sure there are other ISPs out there. :)