Re: Connectix QCVC, Winnov and Cornell CU-SeeMe

Fri, 29 May 1998 20:54:06 -0500 (CDT)

On 29 May 1998, Alan Jarvi wrote:
> I am now experiencing very intermittent hangs when I start any of the
> last three Cornell CU-SeeMe releases, ie. 0.92b2, 0.96a17, or 1.0...
> Once CU hangs (and stopped using the Windows95 "Close Program"
> window), I am not able to use the Winnov Capture system, NetMeeting,
> or the Winnov Configuration system. They all report the video capture
> device is in use. The only way I can recover is to restart Windows95.

Are you sure you have the 2.5 released drivers? I'm running two main
devices (B&W Quickcam and Winnov Videum AV with 2.5 drivers) concurrently
without any problems. The Winnov drivers allows multiple programs to use
the capture device at the same time. The Desktop cam is a digital camera
I believe so I don't know much about it. I'd try going back to the 2.0
drivers.

> Winnov tech support suspects legacy Connectix stuff in the registry,

I'm not quite sure how that would interfere with capture programs. Win95
handles multiple capture devices pretty cleanly.

If it's only crashing with the Cornell programs, it could be a leftover
entry in the ini file. Try deleting cu-seeme.ini in the Windows directory
and rerunning it.

> Interestingly enough, when I fall back to the Winnov 2.0 software the
> system is stable, ie. no hangs with CU, which tells me the Winnov 2.5
> release is the problem.

Yeah..hmm..make sure you're using the 2.5 release and not the beta
drivers. Do other programs hang the same way that use the capture device?
If so, it's a problem with the setup. If not, then it's a problem with CU
itself.