Re: QuickCam -- yay or nay?

Michael Sattler, San Francisco (EST)
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 22:27:41 -0500

At 10:53 11/16/94, greene@FREYA.CS.UMASS.EDU wrote:

>I'm confused. I thought people were already successfully using the
>QuickCam with CU-SEEME. What's the real scoop? Please post to the list.
>I know many would like to know. Thanks.

I don't know about "people", but talking to the low and powerful at CU :-)
got me using an old version of CU-SeeMe with the Connectix QuickCam. It
worked, with the following two problems:

(1) the image sent by the camera was about one-fourth to one-sixth of the
image field, probably because (I'm guessing here) the code made assumptions
about the scaling.

(2) the version advertised itself, and reflectors that refuse connections
from old versions of CU-SeeMe (actually, the only one I saw that did this
was CU) wouldn't talk to me :-(

Expect a version of CU-SeeMe/Macintosh to work with the QuickCam in a very
short time.

http://www.wco.ftp.com/~msattler/
of systems and networks everywhere, documentation writer and trainer; on