Re: CU-SeeMe with direct modem connections

Michael Sattler, San Francisco (EST)
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 23:05:25 -0500

At 13:49 11/21/94, Geoff Burian wrote:

>I was basically wondering what kind of performance people
>have gotten with a straight modem to modem connection (using SLIP
>at 14.4 or 28.8Kbps).

TCP/IP over a 14.4 kcps+compression modem gets you passable video (try it
with NASA Select) but audio takes over 32 kcps (I believe) and so audio
won't cut it (try it with NASA Select).

>Also, has any work been done on getting CU-SeeMe to work without
>TCP/IP for direct connections? Is this type of this possible,
>and if so, is it likely to improve performance much for direct
>modem to modem connections?

Whatever method of bringing people together you use, you'll need *some*
sort of transmission protocol. If you don't want TCP/IP, what do you
propose to get the video and audio bits from your machine to mine?

http://www.wco.ftp.com/~msattler/
of systems and networks everywhere, documentation writer and trainer; on