Re: CU-SeeMe with direct modem connections

Geoff Burian (EST)
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 02:15:41 -0500

At 8:05 PM 11/21/94 -0800, Michael Sattler, San Francisco wrote:
>At 13:49 11/21/94, Geoff Burian wrote:
[....]
>>Also, has any work been done on getting CU-SeeMe to work without
>>TCP/IP for direct connections? Is this type of this possible,
>>and if so, is it likely to improve performance much for direct
>>modem to modem connections?
>
>Whatever method of bringing people together you use, you'll need *some*
>sort of transmission protocol. If you don't want TCP/IP, what do you
>propose to get the video and audio bits from your machine to mine?

Right, there needs to be a transmission protocol of some sort; I was just
wondering if the overhead of using TCP/IP was significant in the
performance of CU-SeeMe. If one could modify CU-SeeMe by replacing the
transmission protocol code (MacTCP on the Mac) with something with less
overhead, then you could get better performance for direct modem
connections where you're not concerned about routing packets through
an internet. Of course if the t.p. isn't the major bottleneck, there's
no use going through all that work. If it was, then with some work,
someone could get better performance for many applications which don't
need or don't want to use the Internet for transmission (like me).

Does CU-SeeMe use TCP or UDP for its transmission protocol?
(i.e., Is it built on a reliable or unreliable protocol?)

Anyways, I'm just speaking in theory here, as I obviously don't own
the CU-SeeMe code.

Geoff Burian
gburian@island.net