Re: P-Mac's in the dark...

Stan Borinski (stanb@zappa.internic.net)
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 15:35:28 -0500

> >Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 06:58:23 -0500
> >From: a.keady@ulst.ac.uk (alastair keady)
> >To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
> >Subject: powermacs vdig

> >>Nobody's bought me a PMac so I have no answer. Gentlebeings?
> >
> >I'm running a powermac 8100/80 av with no dark image problems.
> >I guess thats no guarantee that others don't have this problem.
>
> I've got a 7100/66 that to date has not presented the problem outlined.
> Perhaps the problem is an..urban myth
> >
> David Watson
> Lecturer
> School of Health
> University of New England
> Armidale, NSW Australia 2351
> Email: dwatson@metz.une.edu.au

I didn't see a "final" answer to this - pardon me if it was solved privately.

The PowerMacs do handle video a little differently, and using one of the old,
pre-PPC versions of CU-SeeMe (and possibly some of the earlier PPC versions)
used the "68k video method." I can't remember the difference in any tech-
nical terms, but the result was that CU-SeeMe used on the PowerMacs would be
a little darker. (Sorry, I can't find Dick Cogger's original post on the
subject.) However, since I've been using the latest PPC versions with great
results, I had just assumed it was corrected long ago.

I didn't want this to be dismissed as an "urban myth."

Historically,
Stan Borinski stanb@netsol.com +1-703-742-4796
Software Engineer Network Solutions
Come visit our CU-SeeMe Reflector: