Re: IP No.s & Multigate

Geoff Rehn (EST)
Thu, 24 Nov 1994 07:08:29 -0500

At 7:44 AM 11/24/94 -0500, Simon Plint wrote:
>I have a mac 840av at work connected directly to the uni ethernet and as
>such in the Network control panel I have ethertalk selected. When I use
>CU-SeeMe and connect to Self I see my IP number as 134.148.188.1. I have no
>problem with others making a direct connection to me, using this IP number.
>
>However when I leave work and go home I have to change the network
>selection to built-in appletalk since this is the only way I can connect
>from my mac 660av at home and use MacTCP, (encapsulated in appletalk remote
>access). My appletalk network is connected to the ethernet throuh a
>multigate. This is a graphical attempt at showing the connection setup;
>Mac660av->GeoPort->
> MacTCP encapsulated in AppleTalk Remote Access(14.4kbps)->
> GeoPort->Mac840av->
> LocalTalk->Multigate->Ethernet.
>

>Anyway, if I leave my mac at work running cucme and the preferences set to
>accept incoming data and I check to see what my IP number is *after* I
>change my network connection to appletalk (it doesn't change BTW) I get no
>response using that IP number from my mac at home. I have been told the the
>multigate allocate s IP numbers on the fly.
>
>So,
>1.) Why does cucme not indicate that my IP number has not changed when I
>change over to appletalk?
>I'm assuming that it does cahnge and this is why I can't connect.
>2.) How can find out what the IP number really is?
>I know that I could connect to another cucme users and get them to tell me
>but I don't want to have to do this each time.

I'm a bit confused here....

Are you saying that you change the network connection on your _work/office_
mac to LocalTalk as well as your home Mac? if so, why? Why not leave the
Mac connected to ethernet as is, presumably with a Static/manual fixed IP
number?

Using Peter Lewis's PD MacTCP Watcher will give you the IP number of your
home connected machine.

I have had no trouble getting an ARA type remote connection to support
CU-SeeMe, with a fixed manual IP number, through Apple IP Gateway.(same
also with SLIP/PPP on Mac and under Windows). If only TIA supported
Cu-SeeMe....

Geoff R.

---
Geoff Rehn