Re: QuickCam use report

Michael Sattler, San Francisco (EST)
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 15:16:42 -0500

At 22:09 11/27/94, Alan Larson wrote:

> The first observation was that the QuickCam gave me sound input
>capabilities. This was quite welcome, since the Mac IIcx did not
>have any other form of sound input. Our 56K line to the internet
>may continue to make sound impractical with the outside world,
>however.

You'll get much better video performance if you get an external microphone,
since any sound bits have to compete with video bits to get down the serial
line to your Mac.

> With CuSeeme, the extra load of processing the data from the
>QuickCam on the serial port made the Mac quite noticably slower.
>This was initially noticed when I tried playing with the sound
>controls, but also was painfully obvious when dealing with other
>windows.

That's what happens when you do processing in software (your Mac's CPU)
rather than in hardware (on a self-contained add-on board).

>...What was happening was that the image brightness was
>changing from one scan to the next. This was apparently because my
>office is lit by flourescent light, which was flickering with the power
>line. (I didn't realize that it flickered that much.)

This is a potential boo-boo (sorry, I didn't want to be technical :-)
because that difference in brightness is probably seen by CUSM as a change
in scene, and it'll all get transmitted.

> It seems that some caution should be recommend with the possibility
>of the QuickCam using unexpected amounts of bandwidth.

For the preceeding reason.

http://www.wco.ftp.com/~msattler/
(2179 K) ftp.netcom.com:pub/ms/msattler/Marathon_Demo.sit
of systems and networks everywhere, documentation writer and trainer; on