Re: dealing with attachments

Michael Sattler, San Francisco (EST)
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 01:16:56 -0500

At 19:59 11/29/94, Michael Vossberg wrote:

>I have been communicating with a person who also has AOL. We have sent
>messages back and forth and determined that; if I send the attached file as
>a MIME attachment it shows up as text in the body of the e-mail on AOL. It
>also has some header information but the document is intact. Would you
>please look over this message and get back to me on what you see.

Well, I'm not theresa, but you seem to have sent this message to everyone
on the CU-SeeMe discussion list. I'm using Qualcomm Eudora 2.1 for the
Macintosh. It noticed your attachment and

Attachment converted: msattler:K12NEWS.TXT (TEXT/ttxt) (0000567B)

The reason it shows up as text in the body of the e-mail on AOL is probably
because the AOL mail-reader is not MIME-compliant. This shouldn't be very
surprising, as AOL has to re-invent the wheel in sync with the outside
world, and that takes a lot of engineer-hours. AOLers, don't feel bad.
Netcom customers who are using NetCruiser have driven down the same
dead-end as you have.

http://www.wco.ftp.com/~msattler/
(2179 K) ftp.netcom.com:pub/ms/msattler/Marathon_Demo.sit
of systems and networks everywhere, documentation writer and trainer; on