Conclusion: this delta symbol =?iso-8859-1?Q?=90?= transmit across email?

Michael Sattler, San Francisco (EST)
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 01:17:04 -0500

the seeming differences between the Macintosh and Windoze versions of
Qualcomm Eudora, a MIME-compliant email reader. Macintosh users saw the
character '' as an upturned triangle, a greek delta. Windoze users
didn't. Troubled by a seeming inconsistency in one of my favorite
programs, I contacted Steve Dorner, the author of Eudora. He wrote:

>ISO-8859-1 contains few special characters except for accented letters.
>Capital delta is not one it includes.
>
>When transferring such characters, Eudora uses open areas of ISO-8859-1 (it
>has 32 such free slots). The transliteration used is one that is common
>among many Macintosh programs, and is based on work done by two Belgians
>(André Pirard and Jean-Pierre Kuypers).
>
>Unfortunately, it doesn't put all the 'odd' characters in the same places
>as does Windows; and so we have an impasse. Either compatible with Windows
>or compatible with other Mac programs, but not both.
>
>This is the root of your problem, I believe. However, it's late, and I'm
>not feeling particularly accurate today. :-)
>
>--
>Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated. "Oog make mission statement."

http://www.wco.ftp.com/~msattler/
(2179 K) ftp.netcom.com:pub/ms/msattler/Marathon_Demo.sit
of systems and networks everywhere, documentation writer and trainer; on