Re: Document Camera

Geoff Rehn (EST)
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 10:00:57 -0500

At 9:22 AM 11/30/94 -0500, Russ Overbey wrote:
>We would like to use documents via CU-SEEME. One can also try to make a
>document camera but we know that document cameras are sold. So the question of
>the day is anyone using a document camera? If yes, can you please tell use
>who's
>documnet camera, and the cost of the camera.
>
>Thanks for your help.

Hi.

Yes, over here in Perth Western Australia I have been using a document
camera. Quite an effective adjunct.

The ones I have been using are of type ELMO. There are a variety of models.
Go for the ones with the controls at the FRONT rather than the back -
reaching over, one can get in the road of the field of the camera.

We have even sent text in the form of newspaper articles over by the ELMO,
to school kids in the Global SchoolHouse Project (Arlington, Virginia). It
was really rewarding hearing the kids read through the article as we moved
through it at this end.

I use a video switch to switch from the ELMO to the main camera, and even
digital input from a PAl encoder from a PC or Mac. I begin a CUSM session
with a Murdoch University logo on the document camera.

Cost? $2 - 3000 Australian!!! (as I recall; not cheap!)

Regards
Geoff R.

---
Geoff Rehn