Re: user pays and bans on CUSM in Australia

Geoff Rehn (EST)
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 19:47:30 -0500

At 5:58 PM 11/30/94 -0500, Geoff Huston wrote:

(Geoff Rehn wrote:)
>>However, what concerns me is that there is some talk that such pressure is
>>coming from beyond the institutions themselves and might be being brought
>>to bear by providers of established proprietary videoconferencing systems
>>or infrastructures, to whom CUSM is posing somewhat of a threat.
>>
>>Would anyone care to comment?

>This really is nonsense. No such pressure existed in any way shape or
>form.

Thanks Geoff Huston from AARNet on your response.
I feel that my email might have been a little misunderstood.

I have no problems _whatsoever_ on user pays and volume charging, and the
quite separate issue of the clear need for control on the use of CUSM.

My comment concerned unsoliticited approaches that have been made to me,
over the last few days, from two colleagues within Australia, at two
separate institutions, whose institutions have banned use of CUSM.

It was _intimated_ quite strongly that there might well be political forces
at play, at an institutional level, quite apart from the user pays issue,
whereby pressure was been put on these institutions, _not by AARNet or the
AVCC_, but by those with a stake in the established proprietary
videoconferencing scene, to whom CUSM might be seen as a threat.

I am reassured to hear that this is nonsense.

Thanks again
Geoff R.

---
Geoff Rehn