Re: Internet DTVC

Alan Treitman (alan@treitman.com)
Wed, 01 Nov 1995 21:22:16 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 17:27:27 -0500
>From: BobbyHD@aol.com
>To: cu-seeme-l@cornell.edu
>Subject: Internet DTVC
>
>Is there any configuration under which CU SEE ME software works in
>conjunction with INTEL ProShare to help transmit Desktop VC over the
>Internet???

Technically, CU-SEEME *is* desktop videoconferencing.

I strongly recommend *against* trying to send H.320 compliant video
optimized at 128Kbps over the Internet. We're already seeing too many
ISP's restricting CU-SEEME because the infrastructure can't handle the
bandwidth even at 28.8Kbps; documentation that comes with CU-SEEME asks
that we limit ourselves below 100Kbps. Squeezing ProShare, Vistium,
PCS100, etc. onto the 'net will make the problem worse.

Multipoint video/data networks are now emerging supporting both H.320
and T.120 standards; please support development of these new networks
*and* CU-SEEME. Both are worthwhile and each has its place in
multimedia telecommunications.

Now for *my* question: does anyone know of developing T.120-compliant
programs being developed for the Internet? That would allow for
multipoint CU-SEEME video and collaborative computing, and even a
future for a gateway between the two technologies.

-- Alan Treitman
Treitman Telemedia, New York