Re: Create a CuSeeMe newgroup...

Rodney M. Dyer (rmdyer@uncc.edu)
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 08:32:21 -0500

At 01:53 PM 11/1/95 PST, you wrote:
>> Isn't it about time that this list became a newsgroup?
>
> No, it isn't. The list has enough 'unsubscribe' and other unrelated
>messages. We do not need a long list of "MAKE MONEY FAST", "FREE
>PHONECALLS WORLDWIDE", "What is the best group", commercial advertising
>and other unrelated postings.

Oh, and I'm sure this is worse than -

"Please help me, I'm a newbie and ....", or
"I'm new and can't get my sound ....", or
"I just downloaded cuseeme and can't get ...", or
"Why does the image come out all blocky, and ....", or
"Why doesn't the captivator ...", or
"Why can't Open Transport ...", or
"I'm new. Can anyone send me a reflector list ?", or
"I'm on AOL. Can cuseeme work with AOL?".

On and on and on and on and on and on...

RTFM, RTFM, RTFM, RTFM, RTFM RTFM!!!!!

Maybe if someone would post an FAQ to this list every once in a while???????

Naw, people hate to read those thing's, easier just to ask. ;-\

> The signal/noise ratio of newsgroups is distinctly lower than mailing
>lists not connected to usenet.
>

> More on the subject of the list, are there others who would like to see
>the format of the packets sent by CU-SeeMe and the reflectors be documented?
>This would bring it closer into an open system, capable of interoperating with
>others, and new developments could proceed independently to work on problems
>of bandwidth utilization, and help with the problem of CU-SeeMe becoming
>unpopular with some providers.
>

> Alan

Yes. I certainly wish this list was more technical.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
PC Network Administrator
College of Engineering