Re: Need help with CUSM and Thinkpad 760]

Robert Lefebvre (robert.lefebvre@sympatico.ca)
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 01:03:05 -0500

Ce message est en plusieurs parties sous format MIME.

--------------7E2C4E8ACD4

This is for the archives (and everybody who's interested ...

--------------7E2C4E8ACD4

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 00:54:57 -0500
From: Robert Lefebvre <robert.lefebvre@sympatico.ca>
To: "F. Kevin Feeney F. Kevin Feeney" <fkf1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Need help with CUSM and Thinkpad 760

F. Kevin Feeney F. Kevin Feeney wrote:

> > 2- Is the video in working (plug the output of a vhs video or a
> > camcorder in it).
>
> I can't find a way to verify that. The thinkpad originally came with os/2
> on it, got wiped and had win95 installed.
SAME THING HERE ...
Are there any tools that can do video capture shipped with win95?
NOT WITH W95 BUT WITH THE THINKPAD
IM NOT SURE ITS ON THE CD (IT CONTAINS BOTH WINDOWS AND OS/2 SOFTWARE)
FOR ME IT CAME ALREADY INSTALLED ON WINDOWS 3.X UNDER OS/2
ITS CALLED DIGITAL VIDEO PRODUCER AND IS INSTALLED IN A DIRECTORY CALLED
DVP
IF THE DISK HAS BEEN WIPED-OUT YOU LOST IT ...
BUT I FOUND RECENTLY A SIMILAR APPLICATION (I THINK IT HAS BEEN BOUGHT
BY BILL)
DISTRIBUTED BY MICROSOFT (FREE),ITS CALLED VIDCAP (I WILL ATTACH IT IN A
DIFFERENT EMAIL DIRECTLY TO YOU)
Also, do we want the same setup for that test as we need for CUSM?
THE TEST IS ONLY TO BE SURE THAT THE CAPTURE DEVICE IS WORKING.
IF IT IS THEN cu-seeme WILL SEE IT AND USE IT.

> We did find one problem, and came up with another. He originally pointed me
> to what looked like an RCA jack along the left side towards the rear, as
> being an RCA input for video in/out. Found out today that it's one of two
> jacks that have adapter cables to composite (RCA) or S (mini-DIN), except
> the markings on the computer seem to show a camera and a monitor, and the
> book calls them out opposite of what the markings show. Which is right?

I NEVER TRUST BOOKS THAT DO NOT GIVES CONFIDENCE ...

> Plugging into the rear most one (with the picture of a camera over it)
> gives nothing in CU-SeeMe. Plugging the camera into the one the manual says
> should be the video input (forward most one with the monitor icon next to
> it) doesn't change anything with CU-Seeme, but it does cause a horizontal
> bar to slide down the whole monitor screen as if there were a beat
> frequency between the 800x600 scan rate and an ntsc signal from the camera.
> (interestingly if the shutter on the camera is closed, giving a black
> input, the line fades or goes away completely)

IF THE DRIVERS WERE WORKING YOU WOULD SEE WICH ONE IS THE INPUT FAST
ENOUGH ...

> To me this says the rearmost jack is properly labelled, and the frontmost
> jack is probably a video output that I'm banging up against with the camera
> when it's jacked in there. That would make the manual wrong. Can you
> confirm any of that?

I CAN DESCRIBE WHAT I HAVE HERE ASSUMING WE HAVE THE SAME THINKPAD
(760CD TYPE 9546 F13 look under it)
I HAVE A FRIEND AT WORK WHO HAVE A 760ED AND I REMEMBER NOTICING A
DIFFERENCE IN THE GEOMETRY OF THESE PORTS

SO HERE IT IS:
THE PLUGS I HAVE LOOK LIKE VERY SMALL MINI-DIN.
I USE THE TWO ADAPTERS THAT CAME WITH THE TP THAT CONVERT IT TO RCA AND
S-VHS (MINI-DIN).
THE REARMOST ONE IS THE VIDEO INPUT, THE OTHER ONE THE OUTPUT ...THEY
ARE BOTH LOCATED JUST ON TOP OF THE RJ11 CONNECTOR (it was differently
located on my previous thinkpad a 755CD).
JUST UNDER THE POWER SWITCH ARE THE AUDIO IN AND OUT (HEADPHONE AND
MIKE ICONS).

> I don't have any *.ini files in win95 that I can see. However the system
> file does have a line that looks similar to yours, except it's not .drv
> it's
>
> msvideo=v7320cap.dll THATS OK BY ME ...

I WOULD GUESS THAT W95 HIDES THE EXTENSION OF THE FILE (THIS CAN BE
CHANGED IN THE OPTIONS TAB OF THE FOLDER)
> .dll is dynamically linked library isn't it? That should do the trick if I
> understand it right. It's probably a .drv in win3.1. BTW< what are you
> running on your 760?

IM ON W95 TOO (WHAT A CHANCE ...)

> Thanks for the offer. So far you're my only source of info.
I WISH I HAD THAT CHANCE WHEN I HAD ALL THE PROBLEMS YOU HAVE NOW (SOME
MONTHS AGO) ...:-)

> One other data point. When we first fire up CUSM (cornell version), it kept
> giving us an error message saying to Enable MPEG/advanced video and video
> in, and disable 3 things, I think MPEG player, overlay driver, and play
> acceleration or something similar ( I missed writing them down) We went
> into thinkpad features and set up the Enable MPEG, and Video IN, and went
> into the system folder under multimedia or such and turned off 2 of the
> three items it mentioned. I could never find the third. Does any of this
> sound familiar to you? (I'll endeavor to get the exact list next time, but
> this may be enough that it sounds familiar.

I NEVER REALY HAD THAT KIND OF ERROR WITH CU-SEEME SINCE DVP WAS WORKING
ALREADY, THEREFORE
THE VIDEO CAPTURE DEVICE WAS OK.
I WOULD GUESS THAT YOU HAVE OLD VERSIONS OF V7320 AND W95 DONT LIKE IT
AT ALL.

MY ADVICE IS:
GET THE MOST RECENT DRIVERS FROM THE IBM WWW SITE (CLICK UNDER HERE)
http://www.pc.ibm.com/support/tps/dskt3.html
GET ALL THE FILES RELATED TO YOUR MACHINE THEY WILL BE OF HELP SOONER
OR LATER(I KNOW THERES A LOT)
AND RE-INSTALL WATHEVER IS RELATED TO VIDEO AND AUDIO (MPEG,DISPLAY
ETC.)
> I'm a total win95 newbie, my machine's on hold, but am tolerably conversant
> with mac and dos/win3.1 systems. So aim your reply at that level. :-)
W95 IS NOT SO DIFFERENT FROM WIN 3.X IN ITS INI FILES PHILOSOPHY...

> Thanks for the help.
MY PLEASURE, I HOPE THIS HELP AND KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS MAYBE
WE WILL "SEE-US-SEEME" SOMETIME.

HEY! call me Bob ...after all we both HAVE A BLACK KEYBOARD WITH A RED
DOT IN THE MIDDLE,BLACK MOUSE,...
AND WELCOME TO THE THINKPAD FAMILY ...

--------------7E2C4E8ACD4--