Re: network config.

Randy Wright (randy@dune.ramat-negev.org.il)
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 22:28:51 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, jason andrew leidy wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for an ideal network configuration for a
> dedicated CUSM server and classroom that will be using the Cornell
> version on Power Macs w/ Connectix cams (B+W). I'm wondering if the
> bandwidth is better preseved by directly connecting the clients to the
> reflector server, and then sending out connecting to remote locations
> through the internet.

We have a computer lab with 18 PCs on an ethernet with a cuseeme
reflector on Linux. This ethernet is shared with a Novell file
server and there is a router with a 128kbit/sec frame relay
connection to the internet.

It is fine to use the cuseeme on the internal internet. The audio
and and video are OK. Every computer can watch and listen to a single
feed. Howver, things do not work so well when the reflector is not
on the same ethernet link that the users are on. In particular,
our 128kbit/sec link will only support one or two students viewing
at a time. My network analyzer shows me the the 128k link gets
saturated when we run several cuseem clients at time.

I have not tried to link our reflector with another. However such
a manouver is almost certain to improve the ability of a class
full of students to view a remotely originated feed.

--randy

Randy Wright randy@ramat-negev.org.il
System Administrator - Ramat-Negev FreeNet
http://www.ramat-negev.org.il/
07-6572671 voice-telephone