Suggestion on the Reflector Problem Re: When

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:29:12 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Si Ballenger wrote:

> >When will someone actually post a reflector list of reflectors that the
> >public can use and were checked out to be valid?
>
> Bert, those that CAN > DO! Those that CAN"T > JUST BITCH a lot about others
> not meeting their every need! Why don't you quit whining like a spoiled kid
> and make that list for all of us? After looking at all the BS in your sig.
> file, the list should be a snap!!!

Boys! Hold it right there. Stop this verbal violence at once! I'm the
only one allowed to flame on this list. :) .... What I think would
really be a helpful thing is to have all the users update the list.

What I had in mind was: Anyone goes to the URL of the reflector list.
They select a reflector. If it's good, they click on an icon to the side
of the reflector "MARK GOOD", if it's bad, they click on "MARK BAD". This
can be done using a CGI script.

After each marking has been done, the server will rearrange the list and
the next person to visit the URL will see the marked good reflectors
first, the unchecked second, and the bad at the end.

Now, possible problems... Someone wants to play games and mark everything
which is good as BAD and/or vise versa. Easy solution - completely ignore
any input from that site as soon as the problem is detected. I used to do
just that on my Voice BBS by blocking certain people based on their Caller
ID info. They tried to call from friends (which I then blocked too), they
tried to call from Pay PHones (which I then blocked = "PAY PHONE"), they
tried to call from Cell Phones (which I then blocked = "OUT OF AREA") and
then I completely eradicated the problem. They simply gave up.

So this works. Another way (better+complexer) to solve the problem of
erroneous/purposely-incorrect input is to have the system treat any
MARKING (GOOD/BAD) only if at least 3 people of different sites marked it
as the same marking. This is good for sites which keep going BAD, GOOD,
BAD, GOOD, BAD... As soon as three (or four or whatever) people mark it
as good, it changes from its previous marking of BAD to GOOD.

In order to have people even CONSIDER the Bad reflectors (to see if they
became Good), a sublist can be created of "potentially good sites" where
the listed reflectors are all these which are currently marked as Bad but
have at least one person mark them as Good.

So if a bad guy plays around, 3 good guys check it on the "potential list"
and mark it back to "BAD" in no time. The system could then keep a log of
all the reflectors in this last case (where a bad guy gets caught), and if
a bad guy is caught two consequetive times, anything from his site
AUTOMATICALLY gets rejected when he tries to foil up the system any
addiotional times.

I don't even think it's a big thing to program using CGI. I personally
don't have a cgi account (yet) so I haven't learned the basics (yet), but
eventually...

OK. Now does this make sense to anyone else other than myself?

Ron