Re: Suggestion on the Reflector Problem Re: When

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:40:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996 wizzard@icanect.net wrote:

> > What I had in mind was: Anyone goes to the URL of the reflector list.
> > They select a reflector. If it's good, they click on an icon to the side
> > of the reflector "MARK GOOD", if it's bad, they click on "MARK BAD". This
> > can be done using a CGI script.
>
> Very impressive idea, Ron (I really mean that) but isn't the REAL
> problem the fact that "good" and "bad" are SUBJECTIVE.

No, nonono, no, no! I should have been more specific. By "good" I meant
"operational". Sorry for the little confusion. I think the only
complaint everyone is having is whether the reflector is at all active. I
don't think anyone has mentioned content yet. Although a step further
would be a rating system if there is such a need, according to standards
such as "is there nudity?" "is it predominately homosexual?" "is there
adult language?" "is any of these things allowed on this reflector?" etc.

> Anyway IMO the only way fair and accurate way to report these things
> is by an as objective as humanly possible description of the
> reflector and let everyone else decide for themselves.

Agreed.

> I can see why nobody really WANTS the job!!! :)))))

Which is why I think if everyone does very little (everytime they get to a
broken reflector they mark it as such), this will work pretty well. At
least in theory...

Have a good Shabbos,
Ron