Re: Reflector Lists

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 14:51:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Mark Critchley wrote:

> On the subject of lists of reflectors, why not get all who are
> interested to post in their top 5 or 10 reflectors every week based on
> those that they use most often because they work best for them (
> accessible most often etc) and then compile a top 10 or more. IMO This
> would be a list that on average works best for most people. And no I'm
> not volunteering :), and isn't that what is wrong with most "idea-
> mongers" !!!!

This simply doesn't work because as you've said, nobody bothers. However,
if you've read (and understood) my suggestion on how this should (OK,
"could") be done (WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT FOR THE MESSIAH IN THE FORM
OF A WHITEPINE/CORNELL PROGRAMMER TO DO IT), you will see that my way
would work best because I could easily FORCE you to contribute help when
you're using the cgi script to search for active reflectors.

How so?

Simple; the origin of the person who's accessing the web site is known.
If they access the site and don't contribute help (by marking at least one
reflector as ACTIVE or INACTIVE), they're automatically banned from the
web page and won't be able to use the service any more (they'll see a
nice picture of a guy giving a birdie). I mean, come on, how hard is it to
click on one stinkin' button (MARK ACTIVE/INACTIVE) and help everyone out?

Out of curiosity, how does one who knows C++ start writing cgi scripts?
I know I can do an INFOSEEK on it, but if you've already got a nice
informative URL on the topic, please don't hesitate to inform us (me).

Thanks,
Ron