Re: ISDN versus USR 57600bps

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 11:53:11 -0500 (EST)

On 22 Nov 1996 Hugo.Pereira@mail.sky.com.br wrote:

> Why are you so excited about isdn?
> Haven't you ever heard about us robotics 57600 bps modem? you'd better
> take a look at http://www.usr.com
> if you're a lucky guy you will be able to upgrade your modem to this
> protocol!

My beloved Hugo,

You have a pretty good point. Because of that announcement I decided to
buy a USR Sportster 33.6 "classic" instead of my MORE FAVORITE brand,
Supra (better support, constant upgrades, etc.) I know everything about
the 2X technology and that it won't help much for videoconferencing
(because uploading=sending is still done using v.34).

Yet again, it WILL help because you'll be able to see twice the amount of
people without losing frames per second. And someone mentioned that the
Sportsters are non-upgradable - not true. They are, for a "small fee",
according to USR.

I figured, what the hell - if USR's technology proves a big disappointment
(in the case where NO local ISP will be able to support this technology),
I'm still left with a very stable 33.6 modem for which I just paid $108.

And if that "small fee" turns out to be >$40, I vow never to purchase
any USR modem again, just as I kept my vow not to purchase any Diamond
videocard...

Yours truly,
Truly Yours.