Re: ISDN ASDL etc.

Nick Gisburne (gisburne@griffin.co.uk)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:15:16 +0000

Rob Raese wrote:

> I don't see what all the fuss is about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no
> matter what kind of line or system you run, or your service provider runs,
> you're still at the mercy of steadily decreasing bandwidth net-wide. So
> what if the first or last hop is very fast, you still have to sit around
> and wait for those packets to make their way through all kinds of
> overcrowded machines and lines to go anywhere on the internet.

Couldn't agree more - how many people get the full 28.8K speed (or over)
registering on their Web browser, for instance, when they are connected
up to some backwater site on the Net? Read something recently about
delivery of bandwidth by satellite - heard it is FAST by a few orders of
magnitude. Anyone got any light to shed on that? That seems to be a big
(future) step for net video systems.

Nick Gisburne

e: gisburne@griffin.co.uk
w: http://www.gisburne.home.ml.org