Re: ISDN ASDL etc.

Vangelis (vangelis@qnis.net)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 12:26:31 -0800

Rob Raese wrote:
> >Maybe when ADSL comes out we'll finally get a REAL increase in
> bandwidth. Then again, if the deployment of ISDN is any example...
>
> I don't see what all the fuss is about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no
> matter what kind of line or system you run, or your service provider runs,
> you're still at the mercy of steadily decreasing bandwidth net-wide. So

That depends on your ISP. Yeah, some days (more depending on the time
of day I choose to surf) I see some dead time in my transfers. But
often I don't, and my FTPs are chugging along at roughly maximum
thruput. And of course we hear the stories of the megadollars being
invested every day in backbone expansion, although I doubt it'll ever be
a clear and open road again.

I'm using a small-time local ISP BTW.

-V