Re: ISDN ASDL etc.

Si Ballenger (sballen@cetlink.net)
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 12:38:31 -0500 (EST)

At 06:49 PM 11/23/96 -0800, you wrote:

>> Read something recently about
>>delivery of bandwidth by satellite - heard it is FAST by a few orders of
>>magnitude. Anyone got any light to shed on that? That seems to be a big
>>(future) step for net video systems.
>>

>My understanding is that there are problems with TCP/IP via satellite, so
>that may not be an option at this point. Something about the packets not
>being sent correctly when they have to go thru a satellite.

I think the reason computers do things so well is that they constantly
communicate back and forth verifying each packet has arrived and containes
the amount of info it should (and if the info isn't correct, they resend).
The satellite can broadcast to you, but you would have a some delay time
getting the info back to the sending ground station to have the info
retransmitted back up to the satellite and back to you. Small packet loss is
acceptable for stuff like TV transmission, but will render stuff like
executable programs and pictures pretty much useless all packets are received.