Re: ISDN ASDL etc.

Randy Wright (randy@dune.ramat-negev.org.il)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:07:26 +0200 (IST)

I think Si has a good point here. The round trip time for acknowledging
the reciept of information has to be considered. TCP has an adjustable
window size parameter which allows a sender to fully fill up an
outgoing channel before expecting acknowledgement. However, i believe
that CuSeeMe is transported via UDP, n'est pas?

--randy

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Si Ballenger wrote:
> I think the reason computers do things so well is that they constantly
> communicate back and forth verifying each packet has arrived and containes
> the amount of info it should (and if the info isn't correct, they resend).
> The satellite can broadcast to you,but you would have a some delay time
> getting the info back to the sending ground station to have the info
> retransmitted back up to the satellite and back to you. Small packet loss is
> acceptable for stuff like TV transmission, but will render stuff like
> executable programs and pictures pretty much useless all packets are received.

Randy Wright randy@ramat-negev.org.il
System Administrator - Ramat-Negev FreeNet
http://www.ramat-negev.org.il/
07-6572671 voice-telephone