Re: ISDN versus USR 57600bps

Mike Loewen (mloewen@ripsaw.cac.psu.edu)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:15:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 jwf2@slip.net wrote:

> Just thought I'd drop off some info that I rec'd from USR Tech sup.
> X2 is meant as a replacement protocol FROM your ISP's X2 server to
> YOUR serialzed USRobotics modem. When this protocol is active, it is
> dedicated you will not be able to run other packets "in the
> backround" (ie: FTP/TCP + surf the web + IRC + IPhone, check your
> mail etc.)

Would you care to provide some specifics to back up that astounding
statement? What in the world does the X2 protocol (which does nothing
more than provide a link between 2 modems) have to do with the underlying
functionality of a SLIP or PPP connection? The ability to simultaneously
run multiple network applications resides more in your operating system,
than your modem connection.

Mike Loewen Center for Academic Computing
Email: mcl8@psu.edu The Pennsylvania State University
Phone: (814) 863-4356 University Park, PA 16802
Office: 17 Willard Bldg. http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/mloewen.html