Re: More than 64kbps

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 14:05:29 -0500 (EST)

On 28 Nov 1996 Hugo.Pereira@mail.sky.com.br wrote:

> OK, now you must be saying: Why did you wrote this???
> well, to make all of us get down to earth and see what a terrible
> technology we have today. 10 years for now we will be talking with each
> other: oh, this 1GBps lines are ok for our video-conferencing, but it's
> beggining to get slow with our virtual reality applications..."

I was thinking the same thing... In 10+ years you will have no reason
whatsoever to go visit your parents at another state. They will basically
be right in front of you in 3D, in CD quality. I really can't see any
difference between that and actually being in the same room with them.

Other than, of course, smelling them or touching them. But I don't think
people do much of these two things when they visit their relatives.

I guess you won't be able to go out with them to a restaurant or a movie
or the mall.. But then again, you could watch a movie together on a
separate screen, and order the same food they do and eat in front of them
(just like in a restaurant). Or you would be able to go to a virtual mall
together and buy each other gifts...

Socializing is going to be extremely different in very few years from now.

Ron