Re: PowWow: locating your friends easier for FREE (PC ONLY)

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 13:10:23 -0600

At 01:39 AM 11/30/96 +1000, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a similar product for the Mac? Or perhaps something
>cross platform?

This taken straight from the PowWow FAQ page:

"PowWow is not available for the MacIntosh, Unix, or OS/2 Presentation
Manager (native mode) operating systems nor are there any plans to port
PowWow to these operating systems any time in the near future.

You can, however, try running PowWow through a Microsoft Windows emulator on
Apple MacIntosh or Unix systems. We havve had reports that PowWow works
under Insignia Solutions' SoftWindows for Power Macintosh 2.0 and
SoftWindows for UNIX Workstations 2.0, and Reply Corp.'s DOS on Mac cards.
However, we are unable to test this ourselves or offer any configuration
advice. Insignia Solutions' World-Wide Web site can be reached at
http://www.insignia.com and Reply Corp.'s World-Wide Web site can be reached
at http://www.reply.com, respectively.

We have had reports that PowWow can be used with OS/2 Warp with WIN-OS2
support and IBM TCP/IP 2.0 provided a replacement WINSOCK.DLL and other
TCP/IP drivers are installed. The APAR for the update is APAR IC11173.
However, we are unable to test this ourselves or offer any configuration
advice."

Bill Woodland (Squeek)
Email: wcw@bga.com
PowWow:wcw@bga.com