Re: Fast connections (ISDN/56k etc)

Marc Lindahl (shark@dti.net)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 15:19:01 -0500

http://www.mot.com/General/Events/TELECOM/95/Press/PR951001_19852.html
http://www.mot.com/MIMS/Multimedia/comp/PR/index.html
http://www.mot.com/MIMS/Multimedia/prod/specs/modem.html

..amazing what a search for 'cable modem' will turn up at Mot's website!

At 8:35 PM +0000 11/28/96, Nick Gisburne wrote:
>On the subject of ISDN/56K modems, my cable TV provider, NYNEX, is now
>testing cable modems: Motorola CyberSURFER. (I assume they are actually
>'adapters' rather than 'modems')

Well, actually ISDN TA's are modems too, as they all 'modulate' and
'demodulate'.

>What is the theoretical bandwidth of cable anyway? It has to be WAY

Just as with ADSL, it's almost totally useless to speak of 'theoretical'
bandwidth, as the crux of the biscuit is overcoming a dozen practical
limitations: spotty wiring, different systems of repeaters, distribution
amps, etc. etc.

http://sonorus.com Sonorus, Inc.
http://bowery.com Bowery Records
http://home.dti.net/shark shark@dti.net (Marc Lindahl)
http://bowery.com/skoota un-official SKOOTA website
"They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're also Human Beings" -- Batman