Re: Some basic questions

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 22:11:27 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
> You will have to decide whether there is a real need for color.
> There are many, many people who don't think color is worth the effort or
> cost.
> SLIP doesn't offer ther best service either.

Color is great for smaller numbers of users..I've seen 5-6fps in color on
a 28.8kbps modem from an MJPEG user with quality set to 20-30%. The
problem I see with color is the people that want to open 3-4 color windows
and have them all update fast. I've heard in the past and tend to believe
that MJPEG is very susceptible to packet loss. If there's high packet
loss, the image virtually stops. This means if you get 4 windows open in
color, the packet loss from each one shoots up dramatically (assuming of
course a 28.8/33.6kbps modem connection) and it appears that all of them
halt. Black and white isn't that susceptible to packet loss so you can
keep 4 windows open have them all move at a slower rate, but still move.
I've heard that complaint from others that have opened a color window as
well as a B&W window. The B&W window keeps moving while the color window
halts updating. Color, when in small groups works wonderfully. Expecting
to see 4 moving windows (even if it is slow) in color is asking too much I
think. I've never had any success at it anyway.

And course, you also have to keep in mind that sending color naturally
limits who can see you. Sending WP color limits everyone to some form of
the WP client. Sending MJPEG limits it to Win95/NT 2.1.1/2.1.2/3.X and
Mac 3.X clients. Sending H.263 limits it to 3.X clients.
But sending B&W can be seen by everyone...I know a lot of people that send
in B&W just because of compatibility reasons.

Just my thoughts on the matter...since I tried to help a few people
out last night that were all in color and complaining about paused vids.