Re: QSeeMe for Linux - QuickCam Recommendation ?

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:02:30 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Nick Busigin wrote:
> I would like to use QSeeMe for Linux and am about to buy a QuickCam for
> this purpose. There appear to be 1 B&W model and two colour models
> available. I would appreciate a recommendation on which would be the best
> buy.

As far as I know (though I'm not Linux expert), QSeeMe only sends in
grayscale. So getting a color camera won't allow you to send color unless
you're using Win95/NT. The B&W Quickcams are getting cheaper than ever as
well. I'm hoping Connectix drops the price on them now that the new
Quickcam VC's are out.

>From what I can remember, there is one B&W model, and 3 color models:
Color Quickcam, Color Quickam 2, and Quickcam VC. I'd like to know how
Connectix improved the Quickcam VC for "videoconferencing applications".
My guess is it's just marketing hype to get people to use the USB port
version. I don't see how the parallel port version of the Quickcam VC can
be that much different than the other parallel port versions.