Re: win 3.1 crash, TRUMPET WINSOCKS 3.0 vs 2.x

Sun, 23 Nov 1997 02:49:38 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> How about deleting TRUMPET WINSOCKS 3.0, rebooting and reinstalling 2.X

I've never heard about success with Trumpet 3.0..probably because everyone
I know uses Win95's Dial-up Networking.

> Probably You noticed that You need a new license for 3.0 ! Especially,
> TRUMPET WINSOCKS is absolutely useless if You switch to WIN95 (even
> though it works, but.. isn=B4t it 16-bit only, still ?)

I do believe there's a 32-bit version of Trumpet out...How reliable it is,
I don't know.

One thing I miss from my Trumpet days was the ability to track every
incoming and outgoing packet.

> Sorry for the TRUMPET folks .. but they are kicked off
> the market by M$ !

I don't think so...I just set up a friend in Houston on Trumpet Winsock.
She was using Win3.1. If you're on Win3.1, Trumpet is the way to go.
There is no Microsoft alternative. If you're on Win95 or NT though, Dial
Up Networking is the way to go. Having it builtin to the OS simplifies
support as well as the use of Winsock applications. It's easier on the
programmer as well since they don't have to test their software for every
oddball Winsock out there.